Code For Good
Join Lynn University’s first social innovation hackathon on April 27-28, 2019.
Hack at Lynn provides a space where students across a diverse range of disciplines can build things like mobile apps, websites and hardware devices that solve society's biggest issues.
The hackathon is open to everyone! From students who've never written a single line of code to experts who attend hackathons every weekend. You'll be able to access a number of resources to bring your ideas to life.
|Sat, April 27|
|9 a.m.||Check in and registration in the de Hoernle Lecture Hall in the Green Center|
|10–11 a.m.||Opening and kickoff ceremonies|
|noon–3 p.m.||Introduction to web/ideation (workshops optional)|
|9 p.m.||End of first day|
|Sun, April 28|
|10 a.m.||Venue opens|
|1:30 p.m.||Presentations due|
|2:00 p.m.||Demo begins|
|4 p.m.||Closing ceremony and awards|
|6 p.m.||Hackathon ends|
Get inspiration for your project using our challenge themes! As a social innovation hackathon, Hack at Lynn aims to foster an environment where participants can use technology to address these social issues. Participants are free to choose whichever theme however all projects must cover at least one of the themes.
Health & Well-Being
- Reimagine the way we practice self-care.
- Educate students on staying active and healthy, both physically and mentally.
- Explore alternatives for storytelling in the classroom.
- Hack student engagement with technology.
- Addressing the implementation gaps between technology and the classroom.
- Expand access to education for students with alternative learning styles.
- Spread tech knowledge to underrepresented minorities.
Environment and Sustainability
- Create a tool that tracks the environmental impact of products.
- Easier / Accessible ways for people to take action
- Create new ways for citizens to contribute to research
- Invent innovative ways to save money.
- More active ways to track and inform consumer habits.
- Educating and incentivizing consumers.
- Change people’s perception of finance with technology.
- Explore alternative models for students to finance their education.
Data Scientist / Modernizing Medicine
Nextera Manager / Solar Development
IT Manager / Memorial HealthCare System
Snr. Product Manager / Modernizing Medicine
VP IT Application Dev / Office Depot
Ambition of Problem
Scale and complexity of the social issue being explored.
Innovation of Solution
Scale and novelty of the technology being used, and/or the problem-solving approach taken.
To what extent does the team’s proposed solution appear to solve the problem and deliver superior value in comparison to existing alternatives?
Quality of presentation
Ability for the judges to clearly understand (a) what the desired functionality is, and (2) see that the functionality is behaving as expected.
Wow Factor - Judges bonus